Specialization: Environmental Planning and NRM
He is an Associate Professor and the Dean, School of Tourism and Natural Resources Management since May 2015. Prior to Joining Maasai Mara University, he worked as a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Land Resource Planning and Management, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. Previously, he had worked at the Department of Environmental Planning and Management, Kenyatta University as a Lecturer and an Assistant Lecturer since 2003.
For his studies, he holds a Ph.D. in Environmental Planning from The University of Waikato, New Zealand. He also holds Master's and Bachelor's degrees in Environmental Planning and Management from Kenyatta University.
He is a Corporate Member, Kenya Institute of Planners and Lead Expert with the National Environment Management Authority.
Apart from the Teaching and Research career, he has served/ he serves in various leadership positions. previously he served as the Chairman Land Management Board of Murang’a County, an appointment by the National Land Commission
- Ng’ang’a, L; Letema, SC; Thuo, A.D.M. (In press) Quantification of soil organic carbon stocks across different land use types, soil types and agro-ecological zones in Murang'a County, Kenya. East African Agricultural and Forestry Journal.
- Mette Lovschal, Peder Bøcher, Jeppe Pilgaard, Alice Odingo, Thuo, A. D. M. and Jens-Christian Svenning (2017). Fencing bodes a rapid collapse of the unique Greater Mara ecosystem. Nature- DOI: 10.1038/srep41450.
- Kiama PM; Letema, SC; Thuo, A.D.M. (2017) Sanitation Provision in Use In Karengata and Ongata Rongai Areas and their Compliance to Standards. Internal Journal of Advancement in Eng and Applied Sci.
- Thuo, A. D. M. (2014). 'Challenges of Peri-Urban Agriculture in Cities of Developing Countries: A Case Study of Nairobi City Peri-Urban Area'. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, 1(5), 15.
- Mwangi M. W and Thuo, A. D. M. (2014). Towards a conceptual and theoretical foundation for identifying problems, challenges and mechanisms for municipal waste management in developing countries. Internal Journal of Innovation & Sci Res.
- Asoka, G. W. N., Thuo A. D. M. and Bunyasi M. M. (2013). "Effects of Population Growth on Urban Infrastructure and Services: A Case of Eastleigh Neighborhood Nairobi, Kenya." Journal of Anthropology & Archaeology.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Exploring land development dynamics in rural-urban fringes: A reflection on why agriculture is being squeezed out by urban land uses in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe? International Journal of Rural Management.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). An analysis of role(s) of actors in land-use change in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internal Journal of Research in Social sciences.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Genealogy of land ownership, use and management problems in Kenya during the pre-August 2010 Constitution: A review. Internal Journal of Eng Res and Tech.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Archaeology of urban housing problems in Kenya: Issues and policies. Internal Journal of Sci & Eng Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Political economy and the local governance in Kenya during the pre- august 2010 constitution: A synoptic review. Internal Journal of Sci and Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Unsettled settled spaces: Searching for a theoretical ‘home’ for rural-urban fringes. Internal Journal of Sci and Res Publ.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Impacts of urbanization on land use planning, livelihood and environment in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internal Journal of Sci and Tech Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Qualitative analysis of land-use change pressures, conditions and drivers in rural-urban fringes: A case of Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internl Journal of Innov and Applied Studies.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Place of positionality, values, ethics and reflexivity in qualitative urban field work research. Journal Human and Social Science Research.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Urbanisation in Nairobi’s peri-urban areas, Kenya: Exploring how subaltern actions and do-it-yourself (DIY) strategies are evolving and creating order in new urbanizing areas. Internl Journal of Educ and Res.
- Thuo A.D.M. (2010). Community and social responses to land use transformations in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Journal of Field Actions Science.
- Thuo A.D.M. (2008). Tradition, culture and development in Africa: Historical lessons for modern development planning. Book review: Ambe J. Njoh (Author), Urban Policy and Research, Volume 26, Issue 1 April 2008, pages 125 – 139. http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/cupr20?open=26&repitition=0#vol_26.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Land use planning and biodiversity conservation in private lands: A study of on-farm conservation of indigenous tree species among smallholder farmers of Murang'a County, Kenya. CreateSpace Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-1489513250.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2011). Planning in ‘new urbanizing areas’ of developing countries: Reflections from the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-3-8454-0422-6.
- Thuo, A. D. M. (2014). Urbanization In Nairobi's rural-urban fringe: Consequences of land use conversion. Book Chapter - International Society for Horticultural Science. ISBN 978-94-62610-08-8. http://www.actahort.org/books/1021/1021_16.htm
- Wawire N. and Thuo A.D.M. (2007). Economic environmental valuation. Environment and sustainable development.
- Thuo A.D.M and Waswa F. (2006). Understanding and managing eco-conflicts and environmental insecurity. Environment and sustainable development.