Journals & Publications
- He is a lecturer in the Department of Environmental Studies, Forestry and Agriculture in the School of Tourism and Natural Resources. He holds a Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences (Remote Sensing) and a Master of Science in Environmental Sciences with an undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) in Botany. In addition, he holds a Post-Graduate Diploma in French and Computer Applications. His areas of interest include Remote Sensing/GIS Applications in Ecology, Land Use/Land Cover Mapping, Wetland Ecology and Characterization, Air and Water Pollution Monitoring Studies, as well as in Advances in Digital Image Classification. Dr. Mabwoga has more than five years research experience in the field of Environmental Sciences, with practical knowledge in Remote Sensing (RS) techniques such as image processing and analysis, using ERDAS Imagine, knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and GIS software such as ArcGIS and ArcView Environments, Surfer and IDRISI and good practical knowledge in handling Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and applications in field surveys and sampling. He also has a strong background in field and laboratory methods on sampling and analysis of water, soil and vegetation which includes practical knowledge of using instruments such as Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS), Flame emission photometer, water analysis kits and instruments.
- Simeon Oruko Oyieko (Reg. No. MES10/1014/2014) entitled “Use of Geo-Information Technology to Model the Environmental Effects of Global Warming in Narok County, Kenya”. M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University – Ongoing
- Anne Nairuko Mootian (Reg. No. MES10/1009/2014) entitled “Environmental Implications of Land Use and Land Cover Changes in Ewaso Ngiro South River Basin” M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University – Ongoing
- Dominic Saitoti Kilesi (Reg. No. MES 10/1000/2014) entitled “Land Use Change Analysis in Olopito Area Narok, Kenya” M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University.
- Dennis Mwangi Kinuthia (Reg. No. MES 10/1012/2014) entitled “Evaluation of Socio-Economic Factors Influencing Solid Waste Management in Narok Town, Kenya – A Case Study”. M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University – Ongoing
- Thomas Masasi Tinega (AM 11 (K)6001/2012) entitled “Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Motor Vehicle Accidents in Kisii County, Kenya”. M.A. in Geography, Maasai Mara University – Ongoing
- M.Sc Thesis Examination (Internal Examiner)
- Mr. Otieno David Odhiambo (Reg. No. MES 10/7021/2011) entitled “Characterization of Municipal Solid Waste Stream and Its Effects in Narok Town and Its Environs”. M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University.
- Ms. Ndubi Doryce N. (Reg. No. MES 10/7022/2011) entitled “Analysis of Physico-Chemical Properties and Microbial Diversity of Water Sources and their Influence to Water Quality within Narok North Sub-County”. M.Sc. in Environmental Studies, Maasai Mara University.
- Oyieko, S. O., Mabwoga, S. O., Otieno, V.O. and Ole Seno, S. (_). Assessment of the Vulnerability of Biophysical and Socio-economic Systems to the Impacts of Climate Change and Variability in Mau Forest Complex, Narok County. Climate and Development. Submitted (July, 2017)
- Kaur, J., Walia, H., Mabwoga, S. O., and Arora, S., 2015. Water quality monitoring of Harike Wetland – a Ramsar site in India and its impact on ex vivo biological systems. Applied Water Science (Published by Springerlink). DOI 10.1007/s13201-015-0347-2
- Mabwoga, S. O. and Thukral, A. K., 2014. Characterisation of change in the Harike wetland, a Ramsar site in India, using Landsat satellite data. Earth and Environmental Sciences, SpringerPlus 3, 576. DOI: 10.1186/2193-1801-3-576.
- Mabwoga, S. O., Chawla, A., Thukral, A.K., 2010. Assessment of water quality parameters of the Harike wetland in India, a Ramsar site, using IRS LISS IV satellite data. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 170, 117 – 128. DOI 10.1007/s10661-009-1220-2 (Published by Springerlink), ISSN 1573-2959)
- Mabwoga, S. O., Chawla, A., Thukral, A.K., 2010. Assessment of water quality parameters of the Harike wetland in India, a Ramsar site, using IRS LISS IV satellite data. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 170, 117 – 128. DOI 10.1007/s10661-009-1220-2 (Published by Springerlink), ISSN 1573-2959).
- Thukral, A. K., Chawla, A., Mabwoga, S.O., 2006. Measurement of Biodiversity. In: Proc. 6th National Workshop on Environment Statistics held at Bhopal (April 28 – 29, 2006). Central Statistical Organization, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, Government of India, New Delhi, pp. 262 – 274 (Published by Government of India).
- Mabwoga, S. O., 2009. Ecological Characterization of Harike wetland, a Ramsar site, using Remote Sensing. In: Anveshan – 2008, National Student Research Convention – A Compendium. (Eds. Dongaonkar, D., Mishra, B., Pani, A., Chawla, S. and Negi, U. A.), pp. 107. Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
- Mabwoga, S.O., Chawla, A. and Thukral, A.K., 2007. Mapping of water hyacinth in Harike Wetland, a Ramsar site, using satellite data. In: 1st National Conference on Wetlands, Science and Society – An Assessment of their Integration, held at the Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, (December 11 – 13, 2007), University of Delhi & Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, New Delhi, pp. 75 – 76.