The programme shall be known as Ph.D. in Environmental Planning and Management.
Philosophy of the Programme
The philosophy of Ph.D. environmental planning and management is to generate knowledge and to develop practical skills in environmental planning and management for sustainable development.
The goal of the Programme
In order to achieve its mission, the Programme has set the following objectives;
(1) To impart students with the necessary knowledge and skills that will assist them to make a distinct contribution to the knowledge and understanding of Environmental Planning and Management professional techniques and procedures,
(2) To develop students with in-depth knowledge and expertise on methods of environmental planning and management that are essential in addressing the current and future environmental planning and management problems,
(3) To produce students who can transform research into actions and who are capable of providing environmental planning and management programmes that can benefit communities, regions and nations, and,
(4) To produce competent environmental planning and management managers and analysists who are able to work in different localities of the world
Expected Learning Outcomes of the programme
At the end of the programme students should be able to :
Demonstrate professional competence on issues pertaining to environmental planning and management
Apply skills and knowledge learned in tackling environmental planning and management challenges
Interrogate issues pertaining to environmental planning and management
Use the methods learned to solve environmental planning and management issues
Analyze and interpret data on environmental planning and management
To make rational and independent decisions on matters pertaining to environmental planning and management
Portray professionalism, teamwork, and originality in performing their environmental planning and management tasks
Mentor other upcoming professionals in the field and be dependable leaders, environmental planners, and managers
Mode of Delivery of the Programme
- i) The programme shall be delivered through an independent three (3) year original research.
- ii) The Ph.D. programme shall not involve course work.
iii) Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Planning and Management should hold a Masters of Environmental Planning and Management, Masters of Urban and Regional Planning, Masters of Science degree in (Environmental Studies, wildlife, Forestry, Agriculture, Land Economics, Law, Sociology, Tourism, Natural Resource Management, Geography) or its equivalent from a University recognized by Maasai Mara University.
iv) Other academic regulations as prescribed by the Directorate of Post Graduate Studies shall apply.
The Ph.D. thesis shall be graded as either PASS or FAIL.
Classification of Degrees
The Ph.D. degree shall not be classified.
Description of Thesis
- A student shall, during the degree programme, write a thesis on a specific topic in Environmental Planning and Management.
- The thesis shall be written in accordance with the common regulations of the Directorate of Post-Graduate studies that specifies thesis format, length, style, anti-plagiarism rules, etc.